The Walking School Bus' mission is to empower students in lower income countries to access education, thereby breaking down cultural and faith based barriers, creating academic partnerships between both local and international schools and their respective communities, while helping provide sustainable and adequate nutrition for our partnered beneficiaries.
Our Core Principles Aim to
CURRICULUM | We create academic synergies which mutually enhance both local and international communities education and curriculum.
HOLISTIC RESEARCH | We are committed to academia and research that scientifically tests our procedures prior to implementation.
ACCESS | We are committed to ensure that students globally have access to education.
NUTRITION | We are committed to nutrition, a prerequisite for education.
GRASS ROOTS | We are committed to working with leadership in developing countries through grassroots application to ensure that our impact is positive and sustainable.
ELIMINATE BARRIERS | We are committed to supporting cultural and interfaith education which breaks down religious barriers and biases.
What We Do
- Sponsor 16 TWSB Scholars to attend school on 5 year scholarships.
- Fundraise for the basic transportation needs many of our partnered communities currently lack on a case by case basis.
- Assess the sustainability of The Walking School Bus (TWSB) Model as it impacts our partnered communities through established research programs.
- Building water catchment systems which provide improved access to water throughout the year and support our chicken coops and Community Supported Agricultural Gardens (CSA).
- Implementing Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) to provide self-sufficient school feeding programs to our partnered communities.
- Building chicken coops which provide nutritious meals for students at our participatory schools as well as generate a passive income when eggs are sold (when students are not in school).
- SiMBi, our reading application: Strengthens literacy both locally and abroad. Find out more here
- Experiential learning in our local communities with an aim to positively impact our participatory communities overseas. Find out more about our Experiential Learning model and Think Tank.
- Provide opportunities to travel with purpose, through our Uganda Expeditions.